View from the Edge
The PSTN Switch Off: Why You Should Consider SIP Trunking
What is happening in the PSTN switch off?
In the UK, the PSTN switch off is currently scheduled to take place in 2025. This means that after 2025, the traditional phone networks that rely on analogue or digital circuit-switched technology will be phased out and replaced with newer digital communication technologies.
The switch off – implemented by Openreach, the infrastructure division of BT Group – will have a significant impact on businesses and consumers, as they will need to upgrade their phone systems to newer digital technologies in order to continue making and receiving phone calls.
What are the alternatives to PSTN?
There are several alternatives to PSTN/ISDN. These alternatives rely on digital communication technologies and offer many advantages over traditional phone systems, including cost savings, improved flexibility, and advanced features.
- Voice over IP (VoIP): VoIP allows phone calls to be made over the internet. This makes it possible to make calls from a range of devices, including desktop computers, laptops, smartphones, and tablets. If you are looking at migrating from ISDN to VoIP, read more detail in our blog.
- Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) trunking: SIP trunking is a specific method of using VoIP technology to make and receive phone calls. It involves connecting a company's on-premise PBX system to the internet using a SIP trunk, which is essentially a virtual phone line that uses the SIP protocol. However, while VoIP is limited to carrying voice data over the internet, a SIP trunk can transfer voice, text, or video. It also allows for more advanced communication features such as call routing, call recording, and integration with other business applications.
- Unified communications (UC): UC solutions integrate a range of communication channels, including voice, video, email, instant messaging, and collaboration tools. They are designed to improve communication and collaboration among employees, regardless of their location or device. UC solutions can be hosted on-premises or in the cloud.
- Cloud telephony: Cloud telephony refers to phone services that are hosted in the cloud, rather than on-premises. Cloud telephony solutions can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection and offer advanced features, such as automated call routing, call recording, and analytics.
Overall, these alternatives to PSTN/ISDN are more flexible, cost-effective, and feature-rich than traditional phone systems, and are becoming increasingly popular as businesses and consumers look to embrace the latest digital communication technologies.
For who is SIP trunking the best alternative?
Although there are several emerging technologies for business phone systems, SIP trunking is likely to remain a popular and reliable solution for many years to come. As businesses continue to prioritize cost savings, scalability, flexibility, and reliability, SIP trunking is the best choice to meet these needs.
Businesses that might benefit from SIP trunking:
- Call centers typically have a high volume of inbound and outbound calls, and SIP trunking can help them handle those calls more efficiently and cost-effectively.
- Businesses with multiple locations: SIP trunking enables businesses to consolidate their voice communications across multiple locations, which can result in cost savings and improved communication.
- Businesses that require scalability: SIP trunking is a scalable solution that can grow or contract based on business needs. This makes it an ideal solution for businesses that experience seasonal spikes in call volume.
- Businesses with remote workers: SIP trunking enables remote workers to make and receive calls as if they were in the office, using a softphone or a mobile app. This can help to improve collaboration and productivity.
- Businesses with international operations: SIP trunking can help businesses with international operations to reduce their long-distance calling costs and improve the quality of their calls.
Overall, SIP trunking is a great option for any business that wants to reduce their telecommunication costs, improve their communication capabilities, and stay competitive in today's fast-paced business environment.
Should you move?
Thinking about shifting technology can be extremely daunting. The good news is that Black Box has experience in assisting with SIP migrations, allowing you to minimize any risk to continuity and reliability of your telephone services, both during and after the migration. Our project management team monitors and manages every step of the process for you, enabling you to focus on your business while we focus on the technology.
You have reached the end!
Click here to return to top.