Advantages of Layer 1 vs. Layer 2/3 Switches
- Less complex, more reliable. Easier to install.
- No misconfigured network protocols.
- No firmware or software upgrades to manage.
- Independent of data rates, formats, and protocols, so they're future-proof investments.
- Air-gap isolation means inherently secure network connections, especially important in military, government, and other high-security applications.
- System continues to pass data even when powered off, making it a “green” solution.
- Highest performance: CAT6 supports 10GbE, or use fiber at the speed of light.