- Flexibility. Use 4-pair twisted-pair cable for both data and low-wattage appliances.
- Convenience. Power distant devices in hard-to-reach areas and areas that aren't near a power outlet.
- Time/cost savings. Eliminate the need to run electrical wiring.
- Ease of use. Install and move devices with minimal disruption.
- Safety. Protect devices from power failures.
- Building management systems.
- Retail kiosks.
- Remote monitoring.
- Security cameras.
- Smart signs.
- VoIP phones.
- Wireless access points.
- PSEs (Power Sourcing Equipment), which include end-span and mid-span injectors and switches, provide power to PDs over the Ethernet cable.
- PDs (Powered Devices) are pieces of equipment like surveillance cameras, sensors, wireless access points, and any other devices that operate on PoE.
- PoE devices are basically plug-and-play. Because they talk to each other, you don't have to worry about accidentally sending power to non-PoE devices.