You’ve been tasked to engage your audience with real-time, media-rich content. In other words, send high-quality images over a local area network (LAN). Before you get your cables in a bunch, consider AV over IP.
Sending high-quality images and video over a LAN has never been easier or more advantageous. Benefit from full HD capabilities with ultra-low latency and the ability to introduce dynamic content.
Sounds great, but what exactly is AV over IP? AV over IP is the transport of audio visual (AV) signals over a standard Ethernet network including HD video, audio, control signals, and peripheral signals.
Why use AV over IP?
1. Scalability The technology eliminates port limitations, which means from one single source you can reach hundreds of displays. Therefore, the number of displays you can reach are only limited by the number of ports in your network.
2. Flexibility AV over IP solutions from the right vendor provides flexibility to manage multiple displays remotely. As you grow your signage in various locations, a high-end AV over IP device is necessary to easily manage both content and the performance status of each display. This device allows you to bring multiple information sources to a display, including media-rich presentations with full video. Furthermore, it’s possible to display rich interactive content with live RSS feeds and introduce static logos for consistent branding.
3. Distance Go the distance with AV over IP. This technology has no distance limitations; send video as far as your network reaches.
Although standard Ethernet segments are limited to 330 feet, switches or repeaters can be added to get additional distance. For very long runs, runs between buildings, or in installations in industrial environments with high levels of EMI, standard Ethernet media converters can be used with the system to convert the electrical signals into optical ones for transport over fiber cable.
4. Image Quality Experience lossless video and ultra-low latency with AV-over-IP.
In venues such as sports stadiums, digital signage is everywhere. For the signage that streams live video of the sporting event, latency is a huge problem. For instance, fans waiting at concession stands could hear the cheering crowd and look to digital signage only to experience a four- or five-second delay for the “live” content to come through.
High-end AV over IP systems placed in stadiums, for example, can use compression algorithms such as H.264 to send packetized data over increasingly long distances. Such compression shrinks the signal delay down to an unnoticeable two or three frames per second. This gives the patrons an enhanced experience when viewing live content.
5. Cost savings To implement AV over IP, use your existing network equipment. Since AV over IP can be set up over existing LAN lines, there is no need to tear up the walls and install separate cabling. This eliminates the need for expensive electrical contractors.
Purchasing a digital signage content publisher and manager also is an efficient one-time investment. Avoid the need to produce and mount traditionally printed signage and work with the inflexibility of non-networked systems.
So, where is AV over IP implemented? Sending AV signals over IP introduces a simpler way for companies to better engage viewers by providing richer and more varied content to multiple locations. Today’s consumer expects immediate information. Digital signage can incorporate multimedia that meets this expectation by presenting fresh content that holds the customer’s attention.
We see AV over IP technology used in retail stores, corporate communications, schools, cinemas/theaters, health care, broadcast, command and control, security, exhibitions, concerts, and events.
The demand for real-time content has driven the need for AV-over-IP appliances in these settings. The AV-over-IP devices act as plug in and play, and are controlled by Web browsers. Additional benefits include easy installation and customization.
Next steps Now that you’re aware of the numerous reasons to use AV over IP, how will you implement the technology at your business?
If you’re ready to explore some AV-over-IP solutions, consider Black Box. The MediaCento IPX is an award-winning HDMI-over-IP solution. We also have a host of ProAV solutions, such as HDMI matrix switches, scalers, and video wall controllers.
Click to Watch the webinar: AV over IP